Most people have some stress in their lives. Too much stress, however, is not good for your mental or physical health. Stress can cause many symptoms.
You can feel better if you do these things:
- Share your problems with family or friends. Talking things over will help.
- Do NOT try to do everything at once. List the things you need to do, and then start with the most important one. Finish that thing and move on to the next important item on your list. Reward yourself when you finish something.
- Exercise at least 3 times a week. This will help you relax. You don’t need expensive equipment to exercise. Even walking is good for you.
- Eat a balanced diet. Avoid junk food. Extra B vitamins can help. Too much caffeine (coffee, strong tea and colas) and nicotine (cigarettes) add to the problem.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Take a break and have some fun. Better to work hard for a few hours and then have a good break, than to work long periods and get little done because of fatigue.
- Take a short time-out from stressful situations. Relax your body by closing your eyes and taking some deep breaths. Tense the muscles of your face for a few seconds then relax them. Do this again with the muscles of your neck, shoulders, hands, stomach, back and legs.
- Develop a hobby or interest.
- If you are breathing too quickly (hyperventilating), try to calm your breathing. Breathing into a small paper bag that surrounds your mouth for a few minutes will help many people feel better.
- Alcohol and drugs are NOT the answer. Say no.
- If the problem is serious, you should get some help by seeing a trained counsellor. Your family doctor would be a good person to see. Seeing a psychiatrist or a psychologist might also be necessary.